Students who graduate from the Tennessee Wesleyan University dental hygiene program will receive a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene. During this four-year program, two years of pre-professional course work must be completed prior to admission into the dental hygiene program. Prerequisite science courses must be completed within 5 years prior to admission into the program.
The dental hygiene (DH) curriculum is competency-based clinically. The student must maintain satisfactory clinical performance and at least 75 percent in each DH course. Any grade below a 74.4 is recorded as an F. Upon the successful completion of the dental hygiene program with a GPA of 2.5 or better, the student will be awarded the degree Bachelor of Science in dental hygiene. Students then take the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination, the state or regional board, and apply for licensure in the state where they intend to practice. Graduation from the dental hygiene program and receipt of the degree do not guarantee the student will successfully pass the national board and/or state/regional board.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in applying ethical, legal and regulatory concepts in the provision and/or support of oral health care services.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in critical thinking and problem solving related to comprehensive care and management of patients.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with diverse population groups.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating community-based oral health programs including health promotion and disease prevention activities.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in providing oral health care to individuals at all stages of life and for all periodontal classifications.
- The dental hygiene graduate will demonstrate competent knowledge and self-assessment skills necessary for life-long learning.
*Pending SACSCOC approval and CODA transfer of sponsorship.