The Dream Achievers Fellow Summer Program...
is designed to prepare high school rising juniors and seniors of color for transition to post-secondary education. The Dream Achievers Fellow Program is in partnership with the NAACP and the participants will engage in a series of workshops and experiences at Tennessee Wesleyan University that will assist in campus integration factors such as college knowledge, development of strong relationships with college personnel and other students, campus community engagement, and social-emotional skills.
The topics that will be addressed in the proposed four 2-hour workshop series are the following:
- Developing social support networks in college.
- Examining the benefits of college: knowledge, skills, social mobility, personal enrichment, career nimbleness, etc.
- Exercising career exploration options and major fields of study.
- Learning about a typical “day in the life of a college student” including information on the common demands, pressures, and necessary coping skills for success.
- Utilizing latest best practices in studying, time management, financial management, test taking, and memorization.
- Participating in effective activities in preparation for college such as enhancing writing, reading, and presentation skills.
- Discovering strategies for plugging into campus culture and learning outside the classroom.
Workshops are held every Monday from 9a – 12:30p for 4 weeks. Students will be picked up and dropped off at pre-determined place by Tennessee Wesleyan University. All costs for the summer program participants will be covered by Tennessee Wesleyan University.
May 11, 2020: Selected participants notified
June 1, 2020: Dream Achievers Fellow Program begins
June 22, 2020: Dream Achievers Fellow Program ends
June 27, 2020: Dream Achievers Fellow field trip – All Day
June 29, 2020: Dream Achievers Fellow Completion Celebration