TWU faculty receive awards

At the 2017 Honors Day convocation, Tennessee Wesleyan recognized three faculty members with its annual faculty award presentation. Sharon Brown, Marius Bahnean and Augustin Bocco were recognized with the top faculty awards.

Associate Professor of Math Sharon Brown was presented with the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church Exemplary Award. Brown has taught at TWU for eight years and was chosen to receive this award for her contributions to her students and the community.

“I was very surprised and honored to have received this award,” Brown said. “It is always an honor to be recognized for work that we do as teachers. My experience teaching at TWU has been amazing. I love getting the chance to get to know my students, something that TWU allows us to do.”

Assistant Professor of French Augustin Bocco received the Deane G. Hall Award, which is presented to a full-time faculty member who has taught at TWU for a minimum of three years. The selection is determined by a vote of the faculty based on the performance of the nominee with respect to effectiveness with students, intellectual integrity, imagination in presentation of subject matter and enthusiasm in the general learning process. Bocco has taught at TWU for five years.

“To be chosen by the TWU faculty to receive the Deane G. Hall award is nothing but a humbling experience, and I dedicate this honor to my students who are the heroes of my classrooms,” Bocco said. “During my five years at TWU, my experience is beyond any empirical description, as I am afforded everyday the opportunity to interact with wonderful colleagues and staff members to do the only thing I know to do the best, teaching French and Francophone Literature to the young minds, and building them into the citizens of the world. It has been an amazing adventure of absolute meaning.”

Assistant Professor of Music Marius Bahnean received the Lockmiller Teacher of the Year Award, which was established by the Lockmiller family to honor a faculty member who is exceptional in the areas of effective teaching, student counseling, research and publications, and campus leadership. Bahnean has taught at TWU for three years.

“I was extremely honored to be chosen by the faculty to receive the Lockmiller Professor of the Year award,” Bahnean said. “I did not expect it at all, seeing as there are some extraordinary professors teaching here at TWU. I was also humbled because this means I have to work even harder to keep the teaching standard high, so that our students will benefit of a strong education. Teaching at TWU gives me the possibility to extend my love and passion for excellence in music and arts to the next generation. I found a collective of wonderful peers and friends in the TWU faculty, all striving to bring the best out of our students.”