The mission of the Tennessee Wesleyan University Dental Hygiene Program is to be an institution of higher learning where clinically exceptional dental hygienists who are knowledgeable, thorough, confident, conscientious, compassionate, ethical, professional in appearance and behavior, and active within the professional community are born. We strive to foster a sense of pride, integrity, curiosity, and benevolence in all our students by providing experiences that are consistent with these goals.
Through the unified efforts of the entire dental hygiene department, we guide our students to becoming future leaders within the dental hygiene community.
The dental hygiene program’s mission will be accomplished through the dedication and collaboration of the quality faculty, administration and staff that emphasizes the core values of:
- Providing quality centered patient care to diverse populations within the community.
- Participating in and promoting community health programs and serving as a community resource for oral health education
- Providing a curriculum that mirrors current dental hygiene practices, prepares students for future health care demands and community needs.
- Offering a diverse educational experience that merges theory with practice, promotes critical thinking and problem solving skills, and fosters a sense of responsibility for current and life-long learning.
- Establishing and maintaining high ethical standards in clinical skills, patient care and management, and professional interaction between peers, the community and other healthcare providers.
Dental Hygiene Program Goals
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in applying ethical, legal and regulatory concepts in the provision and/or support of oral health care services.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in critical thinking and problem solving related to comprehensive care and management of patients.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with diverse population groups.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating community based oral health programs including health promotion and disease prevention activities
- The dental hygiene graduate will be competent in providing oral health care to individuals at all stages of life and for all periodontal classifications
- The dental hygiene graduate will demonstrate competent knowledge and self-assessment skills necessary for life-long learning.